When hazards are present, or are likely to be present, which necessitate the use of personal protective equipment (PPE), a Hazard Assessment is required to determine the potential hazards and for selection of the appropriate PPE.
The PPE Hazard Assessment form can be used to determine the required PPE by identifying the hazards of performing the task and selecting appropriate PPE. The form is grouped according to the body part protected by specific types of PPE.
- FAQs: General if you use Standard PPE every day
The form can serve as a written certification of the PPE Hazard Assessment. For guidance contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Conduct a PPE Hazard Assessment:
- When tasks or conditions change
- Or when PPE is deemed ineffective.
- Perform a walkthrough of the work area and task or job to be performed. Identify hazards that the employee may be exposed to while performing work activities or while present in the work area.
- Describe the hazards that are present
- If the hazards cannot be eliminated or controlled without the use of PPE then indicate which type of PPE will be required to protect the employee form the hazard.
- PPE alone should not be relied on to provide protection against hazards but should be used in conjunction with guards, engineering controls and good operating practices.
- When selecting PPE select the most protective type available.
- The supervisor shall fit the worker with the PPE and give instructions on its use and care.
- The supervisor shall also ensure the employee understands the manufacturer’s warning labels and provide training on the limitations of the PPE.
- Make sure that you complete the following fields on the form (indicated by *)
- Name of the worksite or task.
- Name of person certifying that a workplace PPE hazard assessment was performed.
- Date the PPE hazard assessment was performed.
- Document and certify the PPE Hazard Assessment and maintain documentation for reference and employee training.
Examples forms for PPE Hazard Assessments
- PPE Hazard Assessment Form (detailed instructions)
- This form has detailed instructions for the new user. Use this form to assess a single task.
- PPE Hazard Assessment (short table format)
- If you’re comfortable with PPE Hazard Assessments, use this form for a single task. It has minimal instructions.
- PPE Hazard Assessment Form (spreadsheet format)
- If you want to list several PPE Hazard Assessments in one place, use this form. It has minimal instructions.