- Activate fire alarm pull station if in a building.
- Immediately leave the building – and if possible – shut off equipment, stabilize experiments if you can quickly
- Close your door to deprive the fire of oxygen
- Alert others
- DO NOT USE ELEVATORS
- Assist others in evacuating if possible. Have those you cannot assist wait in areas designated “RESCUE ASSISTANCE”
- Call 911 or 919-515-3000
- Activate emergency blue light phone if near by
- Assemble a safe place away from danger; account for others from your office, floor, etc
- Person with knowledge of the situation should meet with first responders
- Do not re-enter the building until cleared by first responders
Extinguishing Small Fires
A small fire is approximately desk trash-can sized that can be easily put out with a fire extinguisher. If you are trained, the fire is small, and the alarm has sounded, you may attempt to extinguish the fire.
Act Fast During Building Fires
- Dial 911 and state your location
- Never use an elevator and exit the building from the nearest exit
- Check closed doors before opening; if hot, choose alternative route
- Crawl if there is smoke, taking short breaths, as freshest air will be near the floor
- Stuff towels or clothing under door, over vents to restrict smoke and fumes if you cannot leave
- Open windows if possible
- Use a towel, sheet, pillowcase or clothing to hang out the window to mark your location for first responders to see.