The University Fire and Life Safety staff is available to conduct onsite training, specific to your group’s interest. For scheduling and content options, please contact us!Request Extinguisher
Fire extinguishers are available through own loan program and can be requested for various campus activities, including grilling and cooking. To request a fire extinguisher loan, please contact us!FAQs
- Do not smoke or perform work that generates smoke near detectors.
- Watch what you heat! Stay in the kitchen when cooking. Do not allow food to burn or overcook. Cooking is the leading cause of nuisance alarms on campus.
- Obtain a fire alarm disconnect when work may cause an alarm.
- Take care with any operation which may generate steam, smoke or dust. Be aware of smoke detector locations. The smoke detectors are sensitive and they will activate easily. Steam from a shower, hairspray, smoke caused by blow dryers, curling irons, or flat irons, or burnt popcorn may cause activation.
- NEVER tamper with fire protection systems. Do not remove or cover a smoke detector or sprinkler head. This is against North Carolina State Law. The removal of a smoke detector will send notification University Fire and Life Safety’s Office and possibly activate the fire alarm.