Plan Reviews

The University Fire and Life Safety Office reviews all plans for renovation and new construction of buildings on campus to ensure compliance with all North Carolina codes and University Guidelines. This process ensures all buildings meet the need of the owner and are consistent with industry standards.

Fire and Life Safety Staff review plans and provide feedback to NCSU Construction Mgt.

Facilities Modification Request

Facilities Modification Requests (FacMod) are required for all modifications and alterations to campus facilities. The request is reviewed by departments within the Facilities Division and other campus units for issues, such as aesthetics, compatibility with the University Master Plan, existing hazardous conditions, capacity of existing building systems, and fire and life safety. For additional information, visit the Facilities Division Facilities Modification Request.

Hot Work Programs

The Hot Work Program is designed to minimize or eliminate fire hazards associated with any hot work operation as identified in the North Carolina Fire Code and OSHA 1910.252. This program applies to all contractors and University units conducting hot work on campus, such as welding, torching, soldering, cutting, brazing, or grinding.

Hot Work Permits for Cooking

A hot work permit is required for all outdoor cooking, grilling and frying done on campus. Stationary grills located outside residence halls are exempt and do not require a hot work permit to use.

A hot work permit is required before use of a personal grill or a DASA grill on campus. All grilling must be done outside and should be at least 25 feet from the building. You must possess a fire extinguisher before grilling and you may not remove an extinguisher that is mounted inside a building. If you do not have a fire extinguisher, you may borrow one from the University Fire and Life Safety Office.

A hot work permit is required for deep fat frying (i.e. deep fryers, turkey fryers, Fry Daddies, etc.). All deep fat frying must be done outside and at least 25 feet from the building.  A Class K fire extinguisher is required before frying and you may borrow one from the University Fire and Life Safety Office.


To obtain a “hot work permit” between normal operating hours (Mon – Fri, 8am – 5pm) call our office at 919.515.2568. If no answer, call our communication center at 919.515.3000.  If you need to borrow a fire extinguisher, please let us know when you call the office.

After Hours / Weekends / Holidays

Call our communication center at 919.515.3000